an email from the AAJA new york listserv (regarding this letter about blacks being consistently mis-ID'd in captions) - reminds me of berlin!:
>
> From: Vivian Toy
> Subject: Re: [aaja-nyc] "Guess they think we all look alike."
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> I know this is a bit off-topic, especially since I'm not a well-known black person and at best a barely-known Asian person, but could I just chime in that in my 12 years at the NYT, I have been constantly misidentified by my own NYT colleagues.
> I've been called Jane Lii, Winnie Hu and Jenny Lee by people ranging from masthead editors to an editor for whom both Winnie and I had worked at different times.
> If they don't bother to keep their fellow journalists straight, why would they care about some random celebrities who just happen to grace our pages?
No comments:
Post a Comment