pentagon press transcripts can be good sources of dialogue
regarding a massive student database for military recruiters that was made public two years after it was created.
Media: What do you say to privacy advocates who view this as government intrusion into the privacy of citizens and that this is a big brother situation?
Chu: I don't think so. We're only using it to mail stuff to people.
Media: You're not calling recruits?
Chu: I don't think this contains telephone numbers.
Media: Yeah, it does.
Media: It certainly does.
Carr: One portion is --
Chu: Oh, okay.
Media: And the data that's collected from No Child Left Behind is included in this database, is that right?
Chu: No, no. It's not. This has no connection to No Child Left Behind.
Media: Why wouldn't that be included if you're going to be --
Chu: I think it was included, if I may say so, only in your article. Let me put on the record. It has no connection to No Child Left Behind. We do not merge this with No Child Left Behind --
Media: I was told that you do merge it with the opt outs from No Child Left Behind.
Chu: You can under the Privacy Act write in and say I don't want to be on your list and we then take you out of the list.
Media: How can anyone have opted out if they didn't know the program existed?
Chu: That's why we have a notice in the Federal Register.
Media: [Laughter].
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment